Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Am I scientific genius??

Is there a measurement of darkness??

Toda I was walking around the house, at approximately 3 pm, acutely aware that every room I walked into required a great deal of squinting, and consequently fumbling for the light switch, on my part. So I thinks to myself, I thinks: "wow it must be at least... *blank search for word that conveys high amount of darkness in proportion to light, fail miserably, decide to continue with sentence anewa* ... really dark degrees in here!!"

Whilst chastising myself for saying something as retarded as "really dark degrees", even in my own private head, I am left wondering if there is such thing as a form of measurement for darkness. There is temperature degrees, and wind speed, and pressure... thingy, and humidity percentage, but what about light or the absence thereof?? I am vaguely aware that there is such thing as "candle power" and I'm pretty sure that guy Watt lent his name to something but I think that has something to do electricity... which is not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about "Hey- there's a crapload of clouds in that there sky. The sun's light, therefore, has been filtered and diluted, and has hereby minimised the amount of natural illumination available for the normal daylight hours that people usually like to do stuff in".

So if the day, which is generally sposed to be not dark, IS dark, how does one convey that to one's peers a bit more professionally than saying "it's a wee bit dark"?? Here is an example conversation which could happen (for science's sake, I'm going to invent a measurement of light. It will be called "Fules"):

*ring ring*
"Hello?"
"Hi Arnar, it's me, yore beloved"
"Oh hi beloved!! What's the happy haps??"
"Well, I was wondering what you were up to on this lovely fine da"
"I'm inside with all the lights on, it is not a Lovely Fine Da where I am!!"
"Oh, pra tell, why is that??"
"It's only 20 Fules here!!"
"Orly?? It's at least 80 Fules here!!"
"Crazy!! So how's yore mater??"
"My mater is pretty sweet. How's yore mater?? I have been wondering about her face."

I won't continue with the rest of the conversation because it got private.

The moral of the story is that there should be words for things that there aren't words for because it can make for some very awkward conversations with yoreself whilst you are in the shower.

No comments: